History of Mount Kare
Mount Kare is Kare Youth League's own 16-acre resident camping facility located in the Angeles National Forest near the village of Wrightwood.
In 1947 the Boy's Christian League, which had been in existence for about ten years, rented Camp Marion, a bungalow high on the hillside above Wrightwood, California. At that time there was outside plumbing and only wooden shutters as protection from the weather.
Each improvement seemed modest, but over the years they have resulted in a beautiful youth camp with indoor facilities for just over 100 people, a first class dining hall, a three-fireplace lodge, and an array of recreational facilities.
In the 1970's we purchased the Deer Ridge organizational camp adjacent to Camp Marion, giving great possibilities for future development. The combined area was renamed Mount Kare.
In September of 1992, we completed two new bunkhouses at Mount Kare, providing an ideal summer and winter camp for up to 100 people, with the best facilities in a beautiful secluded area.
In 1995 one of the original Deer Ridge buildings was remodeled to provide more sleeping area and a small infirmary.
In the Fall of 2001 the old shower house at upper camp was remodeled to provide more winterized living accommodations.